Sunday, October 13, 2013

Review of Skinny Pizza (100AM)

 This was my first visit to Skinny Pizza although I've walked past its outlets here and at other places before but never got the urge to try this out. A colleague suggested heading here for lunch and so here I was making my maiden trip to this outlet. 100AM is pretty quiet outside of meal times but since we were there right during lunch time, there was lots of activity going around and the restaurant was about 80% to 90% full when we reached. We got our main dishes and ordered some pizzas to share and the staff was quite patient with us, suggesting what choices might be nice.

I started off with this sweet corn crab soup but it was rather disappointing. Not only did I not taste the seafood taste of the crab (there were only two pieces of crab meat which I identified), the texture of the soup was also rather uneven. I could taste the overwhelming sweetness of the corn in some mouthfuls while in others, I could taste the water and the corn as separate entities. Coupled with the bread that was a bit too soggy to be eaten with this soup (I would have wanted a slice of toasted french loaf with this), I have to say that this soup did not match up to my expectations.

Next up was the black pepper tiger prawn linguine. The pasta itself was great and was thoroughly covered with the black pepper sauce so each mouthful was full of the mildly-spicy flavour. The prawns were very disappointing though because the second piece didn't taste fresh and I had problems detaching the prawn flesh from the shell (they were stuck together). Perhaps if the prawns had been shelled and that they were coated with more of the black pepper sauce so that it absorbed the sauce a bit more, it would have made the dish a lot better. In this version, the prawn shells had the flavour but the prawns itself were bland, to say the least. I wouldn't go to the extent of striking this dish out completely since the linguine was really well-done. It could just be that I happened to get a plate with lacklustre prawns so who knows if I might get something better next time?

And now, here's the pizza lineup! Chicken satay is said to be a chef's recommendation and a popular choice so we decided to go with this.The skinny crust was packed a lot of crunchy goodness and I didn't really feel like I was eating a pizza. As for the ingredients, there were lots of vegetables along with the chicken satay. I like the chunky texture of the vegetables but the chicken satay was a bit lacking since it didn't actually blend well with the crust. It felt as if the crust and the topping were too different things. Perhaps like they had allowed the pizza crust to absorb more of the satay's flavour, it would have brought about a perfect union between the two. Personally, I found this still OK but my dining companions thought otherwise because they didn't like the fact that the chicken satay was too bland to their liking.

This has to got to be the highlight of our meal at Skinny Pizza because this Macadamia Roasted Pumpkin pizza was simply amazing. I would never have imagined putting these two ingredients together on a pizza but surprisingly, they turned out to be in tandem with each other. The sweetness of the pumpkin coupled with the crunchiness of the macadamia and the crispiness of the crust was really good and won the thumbs up of everyone. Pizzas tend to be on the cheesy or savoury side most of the time but this can certainly pass off as a dessert as well. Do give it a try if you can!

Generally, the food quality at Skinny Pizza is OK with some misses here and there. Service was a bit patchy probably due to the lunchtime crowd and the seats were so close to other tables that it can be rather uncomfortable. Prices will also tend to be on the high side especially for the mains but pizzas are generally OK if you are sharing across the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment