Wednesday, June 25, 2014

An affordable gem in the CBD - The Wicked Garlic

This place may not be easily noticeable as it doesn't face the roads but once you enter the International Plaza building through the entrance where UOB and Swiss Bake are at (just beside the taxi stand), you will be able to spot this quaint shop with minimal frills but with lots of tempting fragrances luring you to check out what they are serving. And I finally gave in to temptation one evening to check out The Wicked Garlic.

This place is unlike your usual Italian restaurant because it is so small and there are not that many decorations or fittings which hint that this is a high-class dining place. However, despite the lack of frills, the food proved to be better than I expected especially with their pocket-friendly prices. I had the prawn aglio olio which gave off such a great aroma that I wondered why other versions of this dish I had elsewhere did not have that same fragrance. The prawns were also considered to be big, considering its price and especially when compared to that other seafood place I reviewed recently. The amount of spaghetti is good enough for one person but if you happen to be a big eater, you should get other dishes such as pizzas or sides to supplement the main pasta or you might not feel full enough. With regard to the taste, I like the fact that the spaghetti did not stick together in one lump and was not greasy at all. Coupled with the prawns which were grilled to the point where the shell portion was slightly burnt and gave off a nice aroma, it was such a perfect combination that I finally understand why there were so many other customers that night who ordered the same dish as I did.

To end the evening on a sweet note, I had wanted to try its signature tiramisu but too bad, it was already sold out. I chose the oreo cheesecake instead which turned out to be good too. The texture of the cheesecake was firm yet moist while the oreo cookies base and top accentuated the flavour of the cheese. I could have done without that drop of cream on top of the cake though. The cookie placed on the cream was a bit too soft which I gather was due to the fact that it had been placed in the fridge for some time and absorbed a fair bit of moisture before it got to my table that night. Other than this slight flaw, I thought that the cheesecake matched up to my expectations.

Considering the price I paid, I was quite impressed with the quality of the food and the prompt service. It would have been ideal if the shop space was bigger so as to accommodate more diners which would have prevented me from listening to what my fellow diners were talking about. However, given that this is the CBD and rental must be quite high, I think it's probably best for The Wicked Garlic to build up a loyal following with its food first before expanding further. For the time being, I'll be sure to go back again to try out its other dishes especially the new Bailey's tiramisu. ^__^

If you want to find out more about them or see their menu, you can visit their official website.

No comments:

Post a Comment