Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Trying a new hang-out place - Au Chocolat (MBS)

I don't usually go to Marina Bay Sands for shopping or food (it's a bit out-of-the-way for me and the food choices there don't particularly appeal to me) so whenever I'm there, it's primarily because I want to go to the ArtScience Museum. Recently, I was there for the Art of the Brick exhibition so I wanted to find a place to grab a bite before seeing that. I wasn't looking for a place to have a full meal but couldn't decide on which place to go until I came across Au Chocolat. It occupies two units, one for the bakery cum over-the-counter products and the other is its bistro where you can sit down for a decent meal. The place had a slight retro feel thanks to its furniture and deco but it's not entirely old-school and does offer a comfortable Parisian atmosphere. In particular, I think the brown-tiled tables were quite unique but it took a bit of effort to move the plates or glass across the table due to the rough surface which caused a slight noise inevitably. I think being self-conscious about not making too much noise is probably the price to pay if you want a tabletop which is unlike the usual smooth surface in most restaurants.

The main selections looked quite interesting but I just wanted a snack thus opted for the calamari. The batter tasted just nice and crispy but wasn't overly oily while the squid didn't feel too mushy nor tough so I think Au Chocolat did quite well for this dish. Maybe I should go back to try their other dishes soon.

Coming to such a place which is more well-known for its desserts, there was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity to try their creations. I opted for the espresso tiramisu which comes in a cup with a heart-shaped cookie at the side. It was a flavourful treat which I would say is one of the better tiramisu I've tried. I don't really like it if the tiramisu is too wet or the cream overpowers the taste of the espresso. Given that Au Chocolat's version strikes a fine balance, I think I'll be keen to go back to check out its other creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment