Sunday, May 12, 2013

Buta (pork) sukiyaki at Yayoiken やよい軒

The biggest problem I encounter whenever I'm in the mood for sukiyaki is that many places sell the beef version and offer no alternatives. That's bad news for someone like me who don't eat beef. Imagine my joy when I happened to chance upon Yayoiken's offering of buta sukiyaki! Of course, having not eaten the beef version before, I can't really compare this version with the beef one which is regarded to be standard fare when it comes to sukiyaki. Personally, I think Yayoiken's version is pretty good where you have a good mix of vegetables, mushrooms, rice noodles and of course, the thinly sliced pork which absorbs the flavour of the sukiyaki stock fully. If they had used chicken instead, it might not have fared so well with me because chicken tends to get overcooked and tough in a hotpot while pork is a bit more resilient to this type of slow cooking. It's a substantial portion for lunch and with the free flow of sparkling white rice from Japan, that should be a pretty hearty meal to have especially since the set meal price is below $20 (before taxes). Now, I know where to go to the next time I have a craving for buta sukiyaki again... ^__^

No comments:

Post a Comment