Saturday, May 25, 2013

High tea set @ Okada Coffee (100AM)

Went back to Okada Coffee for their high tea set which is going at 20 bucks for 1 person and 36 dollars for 2. The latter set comes in two tiers compared to the single set where the items are placed on a single plate. You can choose either coffee or tea to go with your dessert plate so I went for tea since I don't drink coffee.

Although I was quite impressed with the quality of the cake when I first visited them, the high tea set was a bit of a disappointment. First of all, there wasn't any description of what items were included in the set so I had no idea what I was going to get. As such, I didn't know that it included beef meatballs which I couldn't eat since I don't eat beef. As a result, I had to ask the waiter what that dish contained before returning it. I really appreciate the waiter's gesture of asking the chef on what items can be given to me in exchange for the meatballs but getting four sandwiches in return turned out to be a pretty bad idea. There was too much cream and butter in the sandwiches and there were already two sandwiches in the plate so it was normal that I couldn't finish them. The rest of the items also failed to impress me so I left the place a tad disappointed.

Frankly speaking, I really like Okada Coffee for its Japanese ambience and the good service but there's got to be something more appealing about the pastries and cakes to complement the coffee and other drinks. Although I do understand that the coffee should be the main product, it surely doesn't hurt to do well in the supplementary items because that will surely bring about more spending by the customers as compared to buying coffee only. Coupled with the fact that the location isn't that favourable, it will be very important for the cafe to promote itself and stand out among the crowd so that it builds up a stream of regulars and can keep going.

I haven't actually given up on this place so I'll pop by again to try other items which I hope will restore my faith in their menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment