Saturday, April 25, 2015

Croissants from St.Marc Cafe (Vivocity)

The crowds at St.Marc Cafe were always a deterrent for me. I don't really like places where it's difficult to find a table or it's hard to relax when the whole place is filled with people. As such, even though I've always wanted to try the food here, I've never done so because of this reason. I thought that it must be fated that I couldn't visit a St.Marc's Cafe because it seems so popular and is never empty, be it in Singapore or Japan!

When I passed by the Vivocity outlet on a weekday night, it was still pretty crowded despite it being after 9pm. However, I was feeling a bit peckish and decided to buy St.Marc's croissants as takeaway instead despite feeling an urge to try their desserts as well. Given the difficulty in finding a table, I dropped the dessert idea and headed for the pastries. The natural choice was to buy the signature chococro and there were a number of different flavours being offered. Anything matcha or green tea would catch my eye most of the time so I got really tempted by the green tea-azuki version and decided to get it along with chococro because it was difficult to pick either one of them.

The chococro's croissant was quite fragrant and the layers were rather crispy and tasty. However, the chocolate filling didn't impress me too much so my overall view of this is that it's a bit overrated. I've tasted better versions of the chocolate croissant where the filling is not as hard as St.Marc's version as if it's a frozen chocolate bar. Luckily, the green-tea azuki version won me over with the two fillings which were compatible with each other. Just a side thought though, the azuki paste seemed to look like taro so I wouldn't have known that it's azuki if I didn't see the product tag.

Will I go back for more from St.Marc? Maybe, only if it's less crowded. Will I go back for the croissants? Yes for the green tea version, not so much for chococro, I guess. It's just a case of personal tastes so don't let my views deter you from giving this a shot because you may just like it better than I did. ^__^

No comments:

Post a Comment