Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sneak preview of "La Cure Gourmande" (Ngee Ann City)

Visiting La Cure Gourmande was unplanned, if not totally unexpected. It just so happened that yesterday was their opening day and coincidentally, I was at Ngee Ann City and their colourful shop decor and enticing display of biscuits and chocolates etc. lured me to check things out. I don't know if they publicised their opening anywhere else other than through their Facebook page but there were quite a lot of people in the shop so I guess they might be curious first-timers like me or people who have been to their shops in France or elsewhere.

La Cure Gourmande originated from France in 1989 and sells chocolates, confectionery and biscuits. Although there are other stores selling similar products, La Cure Gourmande's shop front is somewhat different in a few ways. In other places, biscuits are usually sold in pre-packaged form while candy is sold in clear displays and sold on the basis of their weights but in La Cure Gourmande, the biscuits are displayed in a clear shelf at the front of the shop and sold by weight. You can do a mix-and-match if you buy in this manner. For those who prefer prepacked biscuits, there are mini versions which are sold in single or mixed flavours. The chocolates are also sold in a similar manner. In addition, it does look like there is a lot of thought put into the packaging with the boxes for the biscuits said to be designed by the founders. Last but not least, the staff at the shop (who are called Sunshines as per what their Facebook page says) are very friendly and eager to introduce their products but this being their first day, I think they still need some time to get on track because one lady was stumped when I asked where I can see the expiry date on the madeleines' packaging and had to ask her colleague.

As there were only two varieties of cookies which could be sampled, I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy so many biscuits at one go especially when I didn't have the time to choose. It was then when the madeleines caught my eye and the variety of flavours was quite enticing. There were the plain, chocolate, orange, raspberry, blueberry and caramel versions which were either sold on their own at $2 each or sold in a package of 10+2 free at $20. I selected the blueberry, orange and chocolate versions as pictured above.

With regard to the texture of the madeleines, I felt that it was a bit too dense and dry. I don't know if it is due to the packaging which seemed a bit crumpled as if the air-vacuuming wasn't done properly so it could have affected the taste. As for the flavouring, I liked the orange version best because the orange scent could be picked up easily and the taste was consistent in the parts with the filling and without. For the blueberry version, the filling was kinda insufficient so for the parts where the filling couldn't be tasted, it was too bland for my liking. The chocolate version was fine overall but I think it didn't wow me in any particular way.

Since there are still many things which I've yet to try from La Cure Gourmande, I may follow up with another post about their biscuits and chocolates. If you have any thoughts about their products or would like to share your recommendations about their products, please kindly share them with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment